The Working Group on Capacity Building & Data Democracy and Ad Hoc Team on Sustainable Development Goals Sustainable Development Goals Awareness Webinar
WGCapD, in collaboration with the SDG-AHT, will be holding a pilot SDG Awareness Webinar training (i.e., SDG 101) to the CEOS extended community with a focus on:
- Overview of governance structures that are developed or adapted to support countries in implementing the SDGs into their national development plans and priorities, and within their regional and international context;
- Examples of EO community efforts to integrate EO data into national development plans and monitoring frameworks for the SDGs via methodology development; country pilot efforts; capacity building and outreach activities; products, tools, and platforms available or in development;
- Examples of partnerships with organizations and communities to support broad use of Earth observation methods and solutions to enable countries to set targets and inform sustainable development policies; and,
- Key challenges, gaps and lessons learned to date in relation to extending EO uses in support of the SDG global indicator framework and to achieve sustainable development more broadly.
Learning Objectives – in this webinar, attendees will learn about:
- The SDG Framework and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: brief history, scale and scope of the global development agenda.
- Governance structures and coordination mechanisms to track, monitor, and report on progress against the SDGs;.
- Examples of EO community efforts to integrate EO data into development plans and monitoring frameworks for the SDGs including national use cases; capacity building; outreach; and, information products, tools, and technologies.
- Examples of partnerships with organizations and communities to support broad use of Earth observation methods and solutions with the SDGs.
- Key challenges, gaps and lessons learned to date in relation to extending EO uses in support of the SDGs and to achieve sustainable development more broadly.
- December 19, 2018
- 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m EST (UST-4)
Level: Introductory, awareness building
Language: this pilot webinar will be delivered in English.
- The course is open to participants from all countries.
- All course materials will be provided in English and will be available, afterwards, at: http://learningcenter.obt.inpe.br
- CEOS Agencies and extended community;
- Key stakeholders with a role in the SDG monitoring, reporting, and implementation process around the world.
- Recorded online sessions
- Reading Materials
- Useful links
- Glossary and Important Terms
- All instructional materials, will be provided in English and will be available, afterwards, at: http://learningcenter.obt.inpe.br
Instructor: Argyro Kavvada (NASA)
Argyro Kavvada (argyro.kavvada.at.nasa.gov) – NASA – Coordinator & Instructor
Hilcéa Ferreira (hilcea.ferreira.at.inpe.br – INPE – Contributor
Robert Eckardt (robert.eckardt.at.uni-jena.de) – University of Jena – Contributor
Nancy Searby (nancy.d.searby.at.nasa.gov_ – NASA – Contributor
Find out more information on the background HERE.