The International Directory Network (IDN) Interest Group is responsible for coordinating activities among participating international agencies to maintain, improve, and expand the functions and use of the CEOS International Directory Network (IDN).
The CEOS IDN Master Directory assists researchers by providing free, online access to information on scientific datasets (metadata) in the Earth sciences, including geoscience, hydrospheric science, biospheric science, satellite remote sensing, and atmospheric science. This metadata describes data held by university departments, government agencies, multinational organizations, and other organizations all over the world. It is maintained using the standard Directory Interchange Format (DIF) and Service Entry Resource Format (SERF).
IDN efforts include:
- Maintaining IDN website content
- Maintaining the IDN server and clients to improve metadata search capabilities
- Maintaining and adding new metadata records from CEOS Agencies
- Maintaining usage statistics and reporting them to CEOS Agencies
- Maintaining DIF and SERF metadata standards using the INTEROP forum
- Creating new CEOS portals as requested by partners
- Access the IDN Catalog Services for the Web:
- Connect to the IDN Keyword Management System (KMS) RESTful Web Services
- DIF Documents & Tools:
- DIFs for CWIC Data Providers: CWIC DIF Guide (How to register data collections in the IDN for CWIC.)
Learn more on the Global Change Master Directory (GCMD) website.
Completed projects include:
GCMD/IDN 10.0 Highlights (Released January, 2016)
- GCMD Search Interface/Web Site
- DocBuilder for DIF-10 and DIF-9
- Metadata Transitioned to New IDN Repository
IDN 9.9.1 Highlights (Released August, 2013)
- Performance Improvements to RESTful APIs
- Hyperlinked “Data Set Digital Object Identifiers”, (DOIs)
- ISO-19115 Formatted Data Set Metadata View
- ISO-19115 to DIF Metadata Translator
- Bulk Metadata Uploader
- “OpenSearch” Tags
IDN 9.9.0 Highlights (Released February 2013):
- New GCMD Web site
- Broken URL Notification Service
- Improvements to the Extended Metadata feature.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Communication and Coordination
Please feel free to contact this Interest Group for more information:
Andrew E. Mitchell (interim)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Goddard Space Flight Center / Code 586
Greenbelt, MD 20771