Webinar: Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Data Processing & Applications
The CEOS Working Groups on Capacity Building and Data Democracy (WGCapD) is pleased to inform you that registration is now open for the WGCapD Webinar Series: Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Data Processing & Applications.
SAR remote sensing provides a new dimension for measuring various bio-geophysical parameters of the features on Earth surface. SAR sensors are advantageous in comparison to optical remote sensing because of their day/night capabilities and penetration through even dense cloud cover.
We cordially invite academics, scientists, researchers, and professionals interested in Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Remote Sensing, data processing, and applications to register for this webinar series, which we offer free of charge.
The 8 sessions will be held each Monday, from 17th April onwards, at 13:00 UTC. The duration of each webinar will be of 1 hour and will be followed by 30 minutes Question-Answer session.
Elementary knowledge about Remote Sensing, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Digital Image Processing is advised.
By the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Understand the concept of SAR Remote Sensing and its utility for different applications
- Understand the complex processing steps for SAR data and know of freely available software for processing it
- Know the advantages of PolSAR, InSAR, PolInSAR and PolSAR Tomography
- Select suitable SAR data and an appropriate methodology to get an output for specific applications
The themes and dates of the eight webinars are:
- Overview of SAR Remote Sensing (April 17) -Instructor: Shashi Kumar, ISRO
- SAR Data Format, SAR Missions and data access (April 24) – Instructors: Dr. Magdalena Fitrzyk and Chris Stewart, ESA
- SAR Data Processing (May 01) – Instructor: Shashi Kumar, ISRO
- Basics of SAR Polarimetry and Interferometry (May 08) -Instructor: Shashi Kumar, ISRO
- SAR Remote Sensing for Geological (May 15) -Instructor: Dr. R. S. Chatterjee, ISRO
- SAR Remote Sensing for Forest, Crop and Soil Moisture (May 22) -Instructors: Dr. Heather McNairn (Agriculture and Agrifood, Canada) and Dr. Hitendra Padalia, ISRO
- PoISAR and InSAR Applications in Snow and Glacier Studies (May 29) -Instructor: Dr. Praveen Thakur, ISRO
- SAR Data for Flood Mapping (June 05) – Instructors: Chris Stewart, ESA and Erika Podest , ARSET (NASA)
We are only able to accommodate a limited number of participants for this course. Please register at your earliest convenience.
Registration Deadline: April 14, 2017.