Hosted by: The United States Geological Survey (USGS)
Accommodation & Meeting Location
Holiday Inn Rapid City-Rushmore Plaza
505 North Fifth Street
Rapid City, SD 57701
Make reservations online at:
Group code: WX8
Rate: $89 USD plus tax
Room block expires on 15 September 2017.
If registering after this date, please contact the hotel directly or email Laura Nemec.
Hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle; call +1 (605) 348-4000 to request the shuttle.
Hotel is a 15-20 minute ride from the airport (12 miles, 19km).
Rental Car options are available at the airport.
Average daytime temperatures are a high of 59° F (15° C) and a low of 34° F (1° C)
Things to Do
Rapid City and the Black Hills offer many beautiful attractions, both indoor and outdoor. If you enjoy museums, shopping or hiking, Rapid City and the Black Hills have numerous options. Below are a few favorites:
- Join the Rapid City bike trail right outside the hotel for biking, walking, or running.
- Visit Memorial Park/Berlin Wall Exhibit (directly south of Holiday Inn-Rushmore Plaza).
- Hike Black Elk Peak (formerly Harney Peak) (elevation 7,244’) (2,208 meters).
- Visit Prairie Edge Trading Co & Galleries.
- Tour US President downtown sculptures.
- Visit Wall Drug with free ice water.
- Drive through the Badlands and behold Mother Nature’s beauty.
- Drive Iron Mountain Road with unique architectural features called pigtail bridges and one lane tunnels with a view of Mount Rushmore.
- Visit Custer State Park & Wildlife Loop.
- Travel to Devils Tower National Monument in Wyoming.
- Visit the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs.
View many more attraction options at Rapid City Visitor Bureau: https://www.visitrapidcity.com/things-to-do
Rapid City and Black Hills Area Maps
- Downtown Rapid City Map
- City of Presidents Walking Guide
- Rapid City Map
- Black Hills Area Map
- Badlands Map
Week At A Glance
|Arrive in Sioux Falls or Rapid City|
EROS Center Visit in Sioux Falls (optional)
|18 October||Side Meetings (optional)|
|21 October||Excursions (optional)
|Depart from Rapid City|