Working Group on Information Systems and Services
WGISS (the Working Group on Information Systems and Services) is a subsidiary body supporting CEOS. WGISS promotes collaboration in the development of systems and services that manage and supply these observatory data.
WGISS creates and demonstrates prototypes supporting CEOS and Group on Earth Observation (GEO) requirements. WGISS also addresses the internal management of EO data, the creation of information systems and the delivery of interoperable services. The activities and expertise of WGISS span the full range of the information life cycle from the requirements and metadata definition for the initial ingestion of satellite data into archives through to the incorporation of derived information into end-user applications.
Announcing the 42nd WGISS meeting!
The European Space Agency (ESA) will host the Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) Working Group on Information System and Services (WGISS) meeting (WGISS-42) on September 19 – September 22 at ESRIN (European Space Research Institute) which is located in Frascati (Rome), Italy.
The meeting will be of significant interest to CEOS members and will focus on the four main domains addressed in WGISS (Data Preservation, Use, Access, and Technology Exploration). A dedicated one-day workshop on Cloud Computing Technology will in addition be organized with presentations from different agencies and organizations. The meeting will provide an excellent opportunity for CEOS members to present their achievements and to share results and lessons learned with other agencies.
Besides technical activities, the week will also include two social events: a group dinner in the historical centre of Rome, and a tour of the ESRIN facility.
The WGISS meeting week at a glance is provided below:
- Monday: WGISS meeting introduction and logistic information session; WGISS Chair report; GEO report; Data PRESERVATION session
- Tuesday: Technology Exploration Workshop on CLOUD COMPUTING and “Free time in Rome with no-host group dinner” event
- Wednesday: Data ACCESS session, Agency Reports and “ESRIN Facility Tour” event
- Thursday: Data USE session, WGISS meeting summary and conclusions
Below are some points that we wish to highlight:
- The dates are September 19 – September 22 (Monday through Thursday).
- Meeting logistics and the agenda are available on the meeting website:
- We ask that EVERYONE who will participate (in person or by web conference) register by clicking the “Register” button on the meeting website.
- If you wish to give an agency report, please let us know.
We hope you will be able to attend, either in person or by web conference.
Working Group on Information Systems and Services Demonstration:
This video demonstrates the search and access of Earth science satellite data across multiple CEOS agencies that make use of a common set of interoperability standards to study an environment issue – the Borneo deforestation.