The Group on Remote Sensing for Biodiversity (RSBC) is a CEOS Societal Benefit Area (SBA) Team coordinating civil, space-borne activities related to biodiversity research and conservation applications. Several governmental space agencies as well as inter-governmental and non-governmental organisations working on Biodiversity and Conservation are collaborating through RSBC to improve global Earth observation data.
The RSBC will help to implement the Global Earth Observation System of Systems (GEOSS) through CEOS activities in support of the Group on Earth Observation (GEO) work plan and associated GEO Tasks.
RSBC will target several issues related to Earth observations and biodiversity:
- Identify needs and shortcomings of Earth observations for biodiversity and conservation
- Improve inter-community exchange
- Trigger new developments between communities
- Coordinate CEOS activities beneficial to biodiversity and conservation activities
- Advocate for improved data and software access, availability, and adequate data sets
- Outline future needed developments, new products, and sensors