The Land Product Validation Subgroup
The LPV Subgroup Mission is to foster the quantitative validation of higher-level global land products derived from remote sensing data and to relay results so they are relevant to users.
Terms of Reference
The objectives of the Land Product Validation subgroup are:
- To work with users to define uncertainty objectives
- To identify and support global test sites for both systematic and episodic measurements
- To identify opportunities for coordination and collaboration
- To develop consensus “best practice” protocols for data collection and description
- To develop procedures for validation, data exchange and management
The concept of a WGCV LPV Subgroup thatwould focus on the validation of land products was born at a joint WGCV-ISPRS (International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing) meeting at the University College London in May of 1999.
The LPV Subgroup addresses the diversity of several targeted land products via six product focus areas, each led by internationally independent co-chairs that are actively involved in validation activities and are respected community members. This structure allows for a stronger task force and closer proximity to corresponding land product communities that will enhance feedback and collaborative efforts.
The role of the co-chairs for each focus area is to engage the appropriate research and operational communities and to coordinate global validation activities. This role involves 3 main components:
- Development of protocols for the validation of satellite-derived products and defining guidelines for reporting results,
- Coordination and Implementation of global validation activities, and
- Provision of the interface between the community, CEOS, and other international structures.
Dr. Miguel O. Román
|Dr. Fernando Camacho
Parc Cientific Universitat de Valencia
C/Catedràtic José Beltrán, 2.
E-46980 Paterna (Valencia).
Tel: (+34) 963.543.269 – 961.680.105
Learn more on the LPV Subgroup Website.